Volunteering Opportunities with Bodywhys
People volunteer with Bodywhys in a number of ways.
Through our support services, where volunteers provide a non-judgemental and non-directive listening ear to people affected by eating disorders, including family members and friends.
Through our Media Panel, if you have had previous personal experience of an eating disorder.
Through our Youth Panel (13-25), who work with our Youth Development Officer.
Support Services – Volunteer Application Process
As part of the range of support services, Bodywhys offers a LoCall national helpline
; local facilitated support groups in Dublin
; weekly online support groups, BodywhysConnect
(19+) and YouthConnect
(13-18); and an email support service
All Bodywhys support services are delivered by trained volunteers.
- Due to the often challenging nature of providing support, our recovery policy asks that people, who have been affected by an eating disorder, are two years fully recovered before volunteering in direct services.
- Applicants must be over 20 years of age to apply.
- Volunteers are expected to commit for a minimum of one year.
- Due to the level of training required, and the volunteering rota, it is not possible to volunteer on a short-term basis.
If you have any questions about volunteering, please contact Mary Crean firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in volunteering with Bodywhys, please download and complete an application form (Word document).
Volunteer Training – September 2019
Training dates for 2019 are:
- Saturday – September 21st
- Saturday – September 28th
- Volunteer training takes place on an annual basis, over two Saturdays, in Dublin.
- It is mandatory to attend both training days.
- All notes are provided.
- Training focuses on understanding eating disorders, recovery, active listening skills, and written or group facilitation skills, where applicable.
- After the initial training, trainee volunteers undergo a period of shadowing and supervision to learn from experienced volunteers. The shadowing process is based on a rota system and typically takes a number of months. Supervision is provided by our Support Officer.
- Please note that Bodywhys does not offer psychotherapy or counselling to those who contact our services, nor does the organisation endorse a specific form of therapy or treatment.
- Training and volunteering with Bodywhys cannot be used for psychotherapy or counselling credits.
- Bodywhys is not in a position to pay travel expenses towards attendance at training.