Youth Connect (13 - 18)
A free, online support group currently offered to people with eating disorders aged 13-18 years.
People are welcomed by Bodywhys facilitators. The facilitators will post the ground rules/guidelines for the group. Confidentiality and respect are emphasised. There is no obligation to mention your diagnosis, nor do you need a diagnosis to use the group.
The facilitators do not have a set list of topics. Users attending are free to suggest what they wish to discuss. Group users attending do not have to speak during a group. It is OK to simply observe and listen. The facilitators ensure the space is safe for all attending. If you feel uncomfortable or upset, do make sure to talk this through before leaving the group.
For those already registered, please click here to launch Bodywhys Connect
Thank you for registering message
Sample registration email to activate your account.
Sample message indicating your account is active and ready to use.
- Use short sentences, or send long sentences in parts, adding ’…’ at the end of each part so that everybody knows you are not finished yet! It makes it easier to read for others.
- Please remember to respect other’s opinions and be courteous towards all participants.
- The service should be used for finding and providing support, not for finding new ways of perpetuating your eating disorder.
- You do not have to contribute if you do not want to.
- Occasionally difficulties may arise either on the server that hosts our site or with our own application. We endeavour to resolve thee issues promptly, but you may on occasion experience difficulty logging in to BodywhysConnect in the interim.
What is YouthConnect?
- YouthConnect is a free, online chat based support group currently offered to people with eating disorders aged 13-18 years. There is no video or audio in this group.
- YouthConnect groups are run by trained facilitators and the service is supervised by a member of staff, our Support Services Manager.
- YouthConnect is a space where people can come together to get and give support to one another about what they are experiencing and coping with.
- The online support groups are based on the idea of mutual support. They are not a therapy group, although they often have a therapeutic effect, helping a person to feel calmer and more able to cope.
- If you turn 19 years of age whilst using YouthConnect, you will need to move to our adult service, BodywhysConnect. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request that your YouthConnect account is deleted. You can then create a new account on BodywhysConnect. You can use the same user ID, provided it’s not used by someone else.
Please note, this group is not for family members, friends, partners or researchers and professionals/treatment providers.
At Bodywhys, we believe people can and do recover from eating disorders.
Bodywhys provides confidential support services within the limits of its Child Protection Policy – PDF.
- We ask that group users avoid talking about specific details of weight, food or the behaviours they are engaging in as part of their eating disorder.
- For example, weight numbers, scales, detailed information about restriction, or what bingeing and purging involves.
- This is in order to help everyone feel safe and supported so that people can talk about how they are feeling.
- Due to the nature of the discussions, the facilitators may sometimes post reminders about the rules.
- It’s OK to discuss your experiences of treatment, attending appointments and services, but be mindful that others have different experiences and what works for one person may not have worked, or will work for others.
Upcoming groups: 2022
Groups run from 7:30-9pm (local time in Ireland)