What happens when I log onto to the group?
From 7:30pm onwards, you will see an “Enter Now” button – click this to take part in the group. It’s OK if you arrive after the group starts, or if you have to log off before 9pm. In the online group, people talk by typing in a text box at the bottom of the screen. A list of active users is shown on the left hand side. Our software has been designed and tested to work on mobile devices.
People are welcomed by Bodywhys facilitators. The facilitators will post the ground rules/guidelines for the group. Confidentiality and respect are emphasised. There is no obligation to mention your diagnosis, nor do you need a diagnosis to use the group.
The facilitators do not have a set list of topics. Users attending are free to suggest what they wish to discuss. Group users attending do not have to speak during a group. It is OK to simply observe and listen. The facilitators ensure the space is safe for all attending. If you feel uncomfortable or upset, do make sure to talk this through before leaving the group.
We ask that group users avoid talking about specific details of weight, food or the behaviours they are engaging in as part of their eating disorder. For example, weight numbers, scales, detailed information about restriction, or what bingeing and purging involves. This is in order to avoid helps everyone feel safe and supported so that people can talk about how they are feeling. Due to the nature of the discussions, the facilitators may sometimes post reminders about the rules. It’s OK to discuss your experiences of treatment, attending appointments and services, but be mindful others have different experiences and what works for one person may not have worked, or will work for others.
Bodywhys provides confidential support services within the limits of its Child Protection Policy – PDF.
Please note, this group is not for family members, friends, partners or researchers and professionals/treatment providers.
Registration process and logging on
Some tips on using the service and Netiquette
- Use short sentences, or send long sentences in parts, adding ’…’ at the end of each part so that everybody knows you are not finished yet! It makes it easier to read for others.
- Please remember to respect other’s opinions and be courteous towards all participants.
- The service should be used for finding and providing support, not for finding new ways of perpetuating your eating disorder.
- You do not have to contribute if you do not want to.
- Occasionally difficulties may arise either on the server that hosts our site or with our own application. We endeavour to resolve thee issues promptly, but you may on occasion experience difficulty logging in to Bodywhys YouthConnect in the interim.