- Repeated episodes of binge eating, i.e. eating larger than normal quantities of food in a short space of time.
- Compensating for binges – this can take the form of purging or getting rid of the food by vomiting or using laxatives. Other means of trying to ensure there is no weight gain include periods of fasting or dieting, exercising and using diuretics.
- Preoccupation with body weight, shape and size.
- Self-evaluation is influenced significantly by body weight, size and shape.
- Hormonal disturbance including irregular menstruation.