Online Support Groups - 2016
Registrations with Hotmail addresses. Due to technical fault outside of our control, user ID registrations via Hotmail/Live/Outlook addresses are not always successful and account activation emails are not always sent. Please use an alternative email address to register, if possible.
Who is it for?
Role and support:
- BodywhysConnect aims to provide support to those who may be geographically isolated from a support group or those who find it too difficult to attend a face-to-face group.
- Meetings last for an hour and a half and are facilitated by two trained Bodywhys volunteers.
Schedule: Meetings are held from 7.30pm to 9.00pm GMT.
Registration and logging on:
- All registered users are welcome to login for a support group. If you are not already registered, Register Now!
- Please ensure that you activate your user ID through the confirmation email, if you do not receive it, please check your junk mail folder in case it ended up there by mistake.
Student email addresses:
- Student email addresses often expire after a period of time or after graduation.
- In order to ensure you receive reminders about the online support groups, and so that emails do not bounce, please sign up using an address with a provider such as Yahoo or Gmail.
For those already registered, please click here to launch Bodywhys Connect
Sample message indicating you have registered.
Sample registration email to activate your account.
Video demonstration: Sometimes people are a little nervous about what the groups might be like, we have created this short video on how the groups work (sound is not required).
Please note that Bodywhys provides confidential support services within the limits of its Child Protection Policy.
Research Study: Supporting Eating Disorder Recovery in Young People
Researchers from Nottingham Trent University are currently working on a project titled “Supporting eating disorder recovery in adolescents”. The study is exploring the places and groups, (both online and ‘offline’) that young people turn to for help with any eating habits that they are worried about.
This research is supported by Bodywhys
Participation: Online Survey and/or Email Interview
In order to participate:
- You can complete a research survey or an email interview or both, depending on your preference.
- The survey will take approximately 15 minutes to complete online.
- Questions will focus on your thoughts and feelings around different sources of help (such as family, friends, and online groups) as well as some questions about your health and well-being.
- The email interview will be sent to you to complete in your own time, over the course of a few days.
- Writing the responses should take a total time of approximately one hour.
- The email interview will explore the experiences of young people who seek out support for their eating disorder online (e.g. on blogs, online support groups, discussion forums, Facebook groups, etc.).
- The researchers are interested in the ways that these groups help young people cope with what can be difficult times.
- Click here to take part in the survey
- Taking part in the study is completely voluntary.
- There are no right or wrong answers and you do not have to answer any question that you do not feel comfortable with.
- All the information collected will be anonymous and no one will know who you are.
- If you would like to take part in an email interview, please email the study's research assistant, Elizabeth Mair, on email@example.com
Research Ethics and Confidentiality
This study has received ethical approval from the Ethics Committee of Nottingham Trent University, College of Business, Law and Social Sciences, and abides to the ethical practice of The British Psychological Society.
Please feel free to contact Elizabeth Mair via the details below if you would like further information about what is involved in participating in this research.
No personally identifying information will be made public from the study.
Research Assistant: Elizabeth Mair
Principal Investigator: Dr Niamh McNamara
+44 (0)115 848 4346